Lumpectomy Reconstruction: fat grafts to the breast

Breast reconstruction after lumpectomy and irradiation poses a difficult choice for the patient who wants reconstruction. After treatment the breast can be noticeably different from the opposite breast, and sometimes can be indurated with hardened irradiated tissue. The alternatives usually offered are reconstruction with implant or a more extensive and complicated reconstruction with vascularized tissue.

Because irradiated tissue has impaired healing abilities, the use of implants has a high rate of complications, including fluid collections, infection, and a high rate of capsular contracture. The alternative is to use tissue from another part of the body which has not been irradiated and carries its own blood supply. These operations are lengthier, with a more prolonged recovery period, and carry their own risk. They can entail significant scarring in the donor tissue area. Because of this, patients who have had lumpectomy and irradiation are rarely encouraged to have reconstruction.

Recently investigators in Italy and Japan have perfected techniques for reconstructing breast lumpectomy and irradiation defects using fat grafts from the patients own body. The results are very encouraging, sometimes spectacular, and the techniques used are reliable and reproducible.

Lumpectomy and Radiation performed

Lumpectomy and Radiation performed

lumpectomy scar after fat injections

lumpectomy scar after fat injections

Fat grafting has existed for many years, but only recently have techniques that work consistently been developed and refined. Like all procedures, the success of fat grafting depends on the techniques used. Although many clinicians voice doubt over the reliability and longevity of fat grafting, some others adhering to well defined principles are consistently reporting success.

In July of this year the American Society of Plastic Surgeons published a position paper (PRS Journal July 2009- Vol 124- Issue1 pp 272-280) on the safety and efficacy of autologous fat grafting. The recommended techiques include:

1. Use of a 3-4 mm blunt cannula and minimal amounts of suction
  2. Optimal separation of fat through centrifugation (300 rpm for 3 minutes) while the fat is still within the harvesting syringe.
  3. Avoid exposure to air and mechanical damage.
  4. Injection should be performed using 2-2.5mm blunt tipped needle or cannula, resulting in small amounts of fat deposited with each pass of the needle.

According to studies quoted on this position paper, the complications of the procedure are relatively minor and infrequent, and severe complications are extremely rare. The following are quotes from the position paper regarding risks: “The risks associated with fat grafting procedures may actually be lower than for other types of surgery” and “Fat grafting can be considered a safe method of augmentation and correction of defects associated with various medical conditions.”

Regarding the risk of cancer detection “…there appears to be no interference with breast cancer detection…”.

The photos above are of a patient who presented to my office after breast cancer of right breast was treated with lumpectomy and irradiation. She was told by her surgeon that implant reconstruction would be risky and offered a major flap reconstruction. The patient did not want a major flap reconstruction on her breast.   As an alternative type of breast reconstruction, I performed fat injections to both breasts to restore symmetry and fill in the area of depression created by the lumpectomy.

There are many theories as to why fat grafts work on irradiated tissue, which has impaired ability to heal. One theory is that stem cells in the injected fat grafts serve as a source of new tissue.

Indeed, in this patient, the most striking aspect of the reconstruction was not the restoration of symmetry, but the quality of the skin and the softening of the breast tissues, an effect which is impossible to obtain otherwise. The scar, which was depressed and indurated is now almost invisible.

In summary, reconstruction of breasts with fat grafts is a new option for reconstruction after lumpectomy and irradiation. The technique, properly performed has a high success rate and, more importantly, low risk. The results, compared to some other reconstruction alternatives, are much more appealing.

Posted in Breast Fat Stem Cells

October 16, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Anisa:
    You can contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net
    We probably will need a virtual consult with Skype or FaceTime to get a careful look at your issues.

September 18, 2016 at 8:33 am

I compliment the doctor for the amazing work,specially for the lip lift.i did My lips with artefiller 8 years ago and i have a resultat like ducky lip,can i remove them with out any probl?can i do My lip with My fat so they look natural?how can i contact your clinic?your work is more than amazing and professional

October 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Lisa:
    Unfortunately, I couldn’t even begin to guess who does it well in Cleveland.
    That is why you have to do your own research as to who has a lot of experience in fat grafting. I have done hundreds of cases, and I can’t remember the last time I had to do a redo because the fat did not take well enough, but plenty of my colleagues still say it is unreliable.
    The decision whether to do lumpectomy or mastectomy should be secondary to the most important one, which is getting rid of the tumor. I feel for you, my daughter is just getting over her chemo and her hair is still not growing back.
    I will pray for you and pray that you make your decision and accept it with peace and faith. There are many people wanting to help you, let their love fill your heart with hope. Remember, there are many reconstructive alternatives no matter which course you take, and they will be available to you no matter whether you choose lumpectomy or mastectomy. God Bless you and I am praying for you.

September 10, 2011 at 11:16 am

I am going thru a major decision lumpectomy vs mastectomy. Your resultslook wonderful ,but I dont know any dr around here that do the fat injections. There are alot of good plactics here in cleveland, ohio. Do you know What are ? to ask.

March 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Katie:
    As a matter of fact, Plastic Surgeons deal with the defect as it is presented to them.
    It depends so much on who does the rearrangement as well as what the defect is that a simple answer will not do. I would have to evaluate the particular case before making a recommendation.
    In my practice I get to do only the ones who have had the lumpectomy alone. It’s not a problem.

March 13, 2011 at 3:57 am

Question: Would fat grafts to reconstruct a 2-3 cm lumpectomy work better if the lumpectomy surgery includes rearrangement to minimize the defect, or is it better to leave an empty space where the lump was removed and fill it in later?

October 10, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Trudy:
    Contact Leeza at contact@cosmeticsurg.net
    They will be glad to help you. You have many options, but to get down to specifics, you would need a virtual consult. Briefly, there might be a choice of implants, fat grafts, breast lift, etc.
    Fat grafts are great, but a large volume breast augmentation is best done with an implant.

October 3, 2010 at 12:02 am

What is the cost compared to breast augmentation. I recently lost 35 pounds and find I do not have must breast left and they are drooping.

August 26, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Generally, initial contact is done through my patient coordinator, Kelly Warner.
    You can reach her at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net

August 20, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi Doctor I just emailed you but I’m not sure it went through I’m having a hard time. Can you give me an email address so that I can email you. Thank you!

1. […] your face, your buttocks, your hands, or your breasts. Fat injections are also being used in breast reconstruction surgery. Fat grafting will restore volume to the breast and can be performed with or without an […]