Recipe for Permanent Fat Injections

I see this question all over the Internet: Are fat grafts permanent?

The answer is:

When done correctly, fat grafts are permanent. When done incorrectly, they don’t last and you will need a redo.

So, how do we do them correctly?

First, the physician must employ correct techniques; and second, the patient must follow the post op recovery restrictions.

For the surgeon, the following techniques should be performed:

• Right extraction pressure with low suction
  • Various types of laser lipo will kill the fat cells –these techniques should not be used for extraction
  • Fat cells should not be washed
  • Proper centrifugation techniques
  • Proper isolation and injection techniques to ensure that the good fat is enriched with some of your own stem cells. Fat must be reinjected in small quantities to allow blood supply to grow into the new fat grafts.

After the surgery, the patient must not put pressure on the grafts for a period of 2-3 weeks. In the example of the brazilian butt lift, patients should ideally not sit on the new fat grafts for 3 weeks to allow a full ‘take’.

When the above techniques and protocols are used, my fat grafts have been permanent.

By Ricardo L Rodriguez MD

Connect with Facebook

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    August 2, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Moses:
    Yes, we do. It is basically the same procedure as in females except that it is harder to get a lot of fullness on the lateral hips.
    Most men do not want lateral hip fullness (“Saddlebags”) as it gives a very feminine shape, so that works out alright.
    We’d love to help you, and you can contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net for more info.

• avatar Moses wrote
    July 29, 2012 at 12:29 am

Dr. Rodriguez: Do you perform the Brazilian Butt lift on men as well. If so, is there any difference in treatment and post surgery care? Im interesting in getting it done.

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    June 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Mary:
    Yes, we have done it.
    If you are interested, contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net
    We’re looking forward to hearing from you!

• avatar mary wrote
    June 6, 2012 at 11:04 am

can fat graphs be done on the back of the fingers (i have excessivw wrinkles around my knucles) as well as the the back of the palm of the hand?
    Thanks,
    Mary

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    October 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Nichole:
    Contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net- she’d love to help you with price info

• avatar Nichole wrote
    October 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm

how much are fat injections?

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    October 1, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Amber:
    I have done many procedures for military personnel. We have a military discount as my small way of giving thanks to those who serve our country.
    We can also put you in contact with military personnel who have had the procedure done.
    Contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net
    We’d be happy and honored to help you!

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    October 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Jennifer:
    Yes, we do!
    You should expect one to two cups increase in size, but it is your own tissue and feels completely natural.
    We love doing it and recommend it highly.
    Contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net if you are interested.

• avatar blazian2021 wrote
    September 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm

how many if any procedures for the brazilian butt lift have you done for military personnel?

• avatar JENNIFER RODRIGUEZ wrote
    September 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

DO YOU DO WHAT INJECTIONS IN BREAST TO ?

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    March 6, 2011 at 1:51 am

Enoch:
    The short answer is no.
    The long answer is that stem cells can impart immune protection to the fat cells from another person, but the technical details about how to do this are far in the future.

• avatar Enoch McAlister wrote
    March 5, 2011 at 2:52 am

I am very slim and really dont have much fat of my own. Is it posible to use someone else’s fat stem cells for my butt injections?

• avatar lucille wrote
    January 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Great Post
    It is very helpful

lucille

• avatar sadme wrote
    February 5, 2010 at 8:09 pm

hmmmm very strange that link no longer works because that website took down that article soon after i shared the link… Now that is something to think about! Thank Goodness i still have saved many documents from the web as well as pdf’s confirming this since somebody has either deleted or censored those documents from appearing on the web

• avatar sadme wrote
    February 5, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words doctor, it really made me feel better since i am used to being treated like a bad person for voicing my terrible experience with my other doctor. I would definitely trust you to care properly for me and the fat grafts because of your experience and knowledge with fat injections.

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    February 5, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Sadandhurt:
    Thank you for your comment, and I am sorry you have gone through all this misfortune.
    Our readers will learn from your experience, so you are helping a lot of people.

• avatar sadandhurt wrote
    February 3, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Please check out this link and it clearly says that pressure is not to be applied to the areas of fat grafts.

Hello again doctor, i wanted to ask you a question about why my doctor would apply heavy pressure on my lower fat grafted eyelids if i was only about 1 week fresh from surgery, and i had no signs of edema or any complications whatsoever , i was careful and gentle with my face and i never so much as lightly touched my face when i would apply ice or gently wash my face.

I had done a marvelous job of ensuring my post operative recovery and i had suffered no complications and the bruising had gone down to almost gone Unfortunately my dr didn’t do his part in my post operative care or healing regimen. Since during the post op 1 week from surgery, my doctor caused a great deal of injury to my face

I don’t know if my doctor did it on purpose or if my dr. just did not know what he was doing,since it damaged my face and rendered my surgery a complete failure.

The pressure from where his finger immediately left two permanent dents as well as caused the fat to become watery lumpy and it caused the fat to disperse and to die . I had to hold my face up with bandages and pray for the best.

I just wanted to say that you should help to spread the word that pressure to the areas of fat transfer is a huge no no.

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    January 29, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Medryl:
    Thanks for contacting us!
    Here at cosmeticsurg.net we love doing the Brazilian Butt lift. Our record is injecting 1,100cc per buttock cheek, that is almost 2 1/2 pounds per butt cheek!!!
    Of course, what size you want determines what we inject, but we would love to have you come here so we can help you. Contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net and she will give you all the info you need.
    Looking forward to seeing you!

• avatar medryl wrote
    January 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Hello doctor, how much will it cost me for taking the fat from my stomach away and putting it in my butt..i already have a bit butt but i dont mind having it even bigger lol please answer, i will be looking out for your answer. Thanks.

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    January 17, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Sadme:
    You are correct. Light pressure is OK.
    Since you are talking fingernails, here’s an example. Look at your fingernail. Put light pressure on it with an opposite fingernail. When it starts blanching, that is the pressure at which it is occluding the small blood vessels. Do not apply more than that pressure.

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    January 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Sadme:
    I love your email name, lol.
    What is your web blog address so I can check it out?

• avatar sadme wrote
    January 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

doctor you need to be more clear in your explanation
    please clarify these facts by affirming or disproving them..

1. Pressure should not be applied to the ares of fat grafts/transfers , especially not any kind of forceful or heavy pressure because the fat is trying to form an attachment to the blood vessels in your face and their survival is dependant on healing properly and this can only be accomplished by not manipulating or massaging the areas for about a month , and by massaging i mean rubbing your eyes or pushing down onto them in any way that can harm or move the fat .

lighlty tapping or gentle touching is okay and makeup can be applied if you avoid the areas of fat grafts and not until the swelling and bruising goes down and with as much care as possible to not cause harm to the fat grafts which can easily be harmed and cause it to disperse and form lumps by pressure such as the pressure that is used to glue fake nails on your fingertips / stick something onto the wall etc etc right?

• avatar sadme wrote
    January 14, 2010 at 8:17 am

wonderfully said doctor, you truly are helpful and are an expert in fat grafts God bless you,

i quoted you in my blog , is that okay?
    Hope so ..

• avatar Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez wrote
    January 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Alex:
    I guess I should be more specific about pressure.
    What you really are trying to avoid is direct damage to the cells or shutting off the blood supply, which in turn would cause cell death.
    Direct damage would be blunt trauma, as if somebody punched you. Touching gently, washing the face DELICATELY and GENTLY is OK.
    Pressure above 30 mmHg, or about the pressure needed to blanch our fingernails if you put pressure on them is not good. You could easily do that by sleeping on an area that had fat grafts.
    I hope this helps.
    Happy New Year!

• avatar alex wrote
    January 5, 2010 at 9:23 pm

You mentioned not to put pressure on a fat graft done to the facial area or any area. What “kind” of pressure are you referring to in reference “to” the facial area? Are you talking about not even washing the face? What if someone “touches” your face? Could you clarify?
    Thanx,
    Alex

3 Trackbacks

1. [...] Recipe for permanent Fat Injections [...]

2. [...] learn more about why fat grafting is long lasting when done correctly watch my video which explains why. If you have any questions, please post them to my [...]

3. [...] **How long to fat transfers last? [...]