Some women get more cleavage naturally because of chest wall type

Why do some women get more breast cleavage with breast augmentation than others? There are many reasons, but one of them is a function of your chest wall type.

Some patients have a chest wall shape that is not really straight. Those patients either have a concave, hollow chest, in which the chest slopes towards the middle, or they may have an outward curved chest wall, or bird like chest, in which the middle part of the chest is the highest part like the women in the video still shown below.

These conditions are medically referred to as:

• Pectus excavatum – the concave breast, which is sunken in the middle
  • Pectus carinatum – the bird like , or outward curved chest wall

Some of my patients have a mild degree of one of these chest forms. They may not even realize it. To determine if your chest wall has a mild form of either of the two, stand to the side in front of a mirror. It is easy to see the pectus carinatum (outward curved), as you will see that your middle sternum bone is higher in the center. For the concave breast, the pectus excavatum, you would see the opposite, a sunken area along the middle axis.

If you have pectus excavatum type of chest wall then you are lucky in regards to breast augmentation!  This type of breast wall will naturally give you a more defined cleavage with breast implants because the implants will migrate towards the center.Cleavage on these women will be more defined. Additionally, these women usually have the option of going with high profile or moderate profile implants.

Women with the pectus carinatum , however, do not enjoy the same freedom of implant selection. If you have a chest which is curved outward, the implants will have a tendency to shift to the sides, away from your cleavage line.  Thus, your cleavage will always be softer, or not as close together. In these cases, I recommend choosing a high profile implant because it has more projection , and less diameter.  The high profile projection will give you the most cleavage possible . In terms of the shape, the smaller diameter of a high profile implant will sit more upright on the chest wall and not go off to the side as much.

To learn more about the type of chest wall you have and how it affects your implants selection watch my video above. If you have any questions please post them below in comments.

By Dr. Ricardo L Rodriguez
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Posted in Breast

November 28, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Amy:
    Most loving husbands think “I love her just like she is and she can be sure of my love”
    But you have to let him know that although you know he loves you no matter what this really bothers you and upsets you.

November 15, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Never knew there was an actually named for my condition. I am extremely concaved. I am 29 years old & have always been so conscious of it. I have never been able to wear a bra that fits normal. After 2 kids my breast have turned to pancakes:( now only if my husband wod agree with a breast augmentation. Just so glad to hear other women have this.

May 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Kitty:
    If you want fullness in the upper part of the breast, you really need an augmentation, even if it is a small one. A lift by itself will not give you fullness above the areola. And yes, we can place the whole breast complex higher up on the chest with a lift.
    We’d love to hear from you! Contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net

May 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I considered getting implants when I was younger but I have Pectus carinatum. I always wondered why my breasts were so FAR apart and rest so much to the side. If I ever consider implants again I will take this into consideration! What would happen if I merely wanted a breast lift? Would my Pectus carinatum play a part in how this would be done also? I do not want to increase the size of my breasts really, but since I have had two children I would like them to be higher than they are now. Thank you.

November 10, 2010 at 1:34 pm

This is so interesting to me. It is amazing how we develop and everyone is different. Check out the information on my friend’s website as he finds this interesting as well. http://saline-impacts.com

August 2, 2010 at 10:39 am

Ms. Hogue:
    Please look at this post on the difference between High profile and Moderate profile implant shape implant.
    From what you are saying, the fact that the implants have a narrow footprint may make them look smaller. You may benefit from a moderate profile implant that will give a wider appearance from the front and less pronounced cleavage in the middle.
    Of course, without seeing pictures I really can’t make an educated guess, but I hope this helps.

July 25, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Dear Dr. Rodriguez,
    So thrilled to see this post. I have a concave chest and have wondered why my implants seem to fall to the middle and why I have such a hard time getting a bra to corretly fit. Don’t really have any that fit properly. I often feel like I have a una-boob (one boob). I do have very deep cleavage but have trouble getting a bra to give lift and seperation. I am due for new implants as it has been 10+ years, could you explain the difference between high profile and moderate profile implants. I currently have 32DD but find that they have the appearance of a D or large C because so much gets lost in the ‘hole’ of my chest.

March 17, 2010 at 9:23 pm

It is really hard to get good cleavage with pectus carinatum.
    Your best option may be to get a bigger (more than a B cup) implant, either a high profile or a high profile plus. You need more volume than you think to overcome the prominence of the sternum.
    Other than that, it is hard for me to make a recommendation without seeing pre and postoperative pictures of your case.
    If you are interested, contact Kelly at kelly@cosmeticsurg.net

March 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Dear Dr. Rodriguez,
    I am 5’4, 110lbs, 20 year old woman with a pectus carinatum chest and I used to be an A cup until, I had a breast augmentation over the summer. Now, I have a small high profile B cup and Im not really happy! I hardly have a cleavage! I was just wondering if u recommend me getting another surgery in order for me to have a cleavage?
    Thanks,
    Jenny

December 1, 2009 at 12:21 am

Thanks for the comment.
    Nowadays patients come with a number of pictures pulled from other sites, with a result they would like.
    I find myself a lot of the time explaining chest type has a lot to do with result, which is why I posted this.
    BTW, saw your series of blogposts on breast aug and liked it very much too.

November 30, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Thanks for posting this article. I am going to refer my patients to this explanation.

Most women don’t realize that the spacing between breasts is mostly a function of the width and shape of the sternum, of the locations of the origins of the pectoralis major muscle, and of the natural footprint of the breasts. Implants can only do so much!

November 29, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Dr Rodriquez,
    Love this blog. Perhaps you’d consider guest posting on Medical Spa MD or Freelance MD at some point. You’re writing the content our physicians are really looking for.
    Best,